Saturday, February 2, 2013

Clifton

February 2, 2013. 30 degrees, light snow falling, three inches on the ground.

Everything about our Clifton run today was beautiful: the homes, the trees, the shops, the snow. We started out on the edge of Burnet Woods, which was blocked with barricades—perhaps in an attempt to deter the sled riders?


First, we ran through the residential blocks behind the business district: big, unique homes on perfect-sized lots.




We ran up Middleton, which is a wide thoroughfare with little traffic. The sidewalks were a bit treacherous (and I was feeling a bit hesitant after last week’s fall) so we ran in the street.

Middleton took us to Lafayette, and from there we veered off onto North Cliff. We stopped at the Probasco mansion, where I felt the pangs of my distant relative’s lost fortune:




Back on Lafayette, we took a detour onto Windings, which is a new subdivision of cookie-cutter duplexes leading to a hundred-year old castle that has been converted into condominiums. The juxtaposition of old and new is striking and we would have taken a photo if not for the “No Trespassing, Residents Only” signs. We didn’t want to press our luck.

Lafayette leads to Mt. Storm park, which has a phenomenal view of the Mill Creek Valley and a gazebo called “The Temple of Love.” Unfortunately, this was as close as we could get:


Lafayette winds down to Ludlow on a narrow road through the woods. The lack of sidewalks made me feel a bit uncomfortable and I was unnerved to learn that Donnie includes this stretch on his regular runs through Clifton. Too dangerous!



Next, we had the daunting task of running up Ludlow. Look, we live in Mt. Lookout—hills on a run are unavoidable. But this. Was like. None other.

I briefly considered admitting defeat and WALKING to the top, but the gorgeous homes offered a bit of a distraction from the pain:




And we stopped for just a moment to admire the cemetery under fresh snow:


And for me to check my email (and catch my breath):


I pulled it together and made it up the hill to the business district. Obligatory photo ops in front of a few old favorites:




For the record, I've never been to J. Gumbo's, I was trying to get a shot of Skyline.

On Clifton Avenue, we ran into Suzy, Luna, and Bruno.


Suzy had originally planned to run the Clifton route with us but said that her shins hurt from last night’s dinner/dance party.


(Recapping said dance party.)

After chatting with Suzy, we ran up to the Clifton Cultural Arts Center and the Fairview German Language School. I imagine someday I might be camping out overnight to make sure little Cash Leroy Warner gets a spot here. Here is some foreshadowing:



Next we ran by the Unitarian Universalist church that Donnie and I attended for five weeks last winter. The space is breathtaking and we might have continued to go if not for the flu-season hand-holding.


I didn’t realize it until today, but the architecture of the Unitarian church echoes the Church of the Annunciation just around the corner:


And close by is the Islamic mosque:



Clifton has been my favorite run to date. When we first moved to Cincinnati in 2007 we had considered renting the second floor of this little house off Ludlow:



Now I know that if we ever do move to Clifton (it’s on the short list) the running routes are as picturesque as the housing options.

Before I sign off, I want to point out that turquoise running top I’m wearing in these photos is brand new and was a birthday gift from Don and Janet!

Yes, the box that it came in did say very clearly, “Do not open until birthday.” And no, I haven’t had my birthday yet. When Janet texted Donnie to ask if I had opened it anyway, Donnie replied, “Do you know Kay Kay?”

-Kay Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment